Mental Health First Aid
What is Mental Health First Aid?
– Mental Health First Aid is an 8-hour training course that teaches you how to help someone who has a mental health problem or is experiencing a mental health crisis.
– MHFA is an evidence based program through SAMSHA.
– MHFA helps you know how to identify, understand and respond to signs of mental illnesses and addictions.
– MHFA teaches a five-step action plan to assess a situation, select and implement appropriate interventions and secure appropriate care for an individual experiencing a mental health problem.
For more information on Mental Health First Aid visit the website below.
The Mental Health First Aid Action Plan
Why should you take it?
– To be prepared: CPR/First Aid training prepares you for medical emergencies, MHFA prepares you for mental health emergencies
– Mental illnesses are common: each year, 1 in 5 adults struggle with a mental illness that is significant enough to be diagnosed, but isn’t
– You care: learn how to be there for a friend, family member or colleague
– You can help: people with mental illnesses often suffer alone – reduce the stigma
Upcoming 2021 Adult Classes
We will be meeting in-person again! If you have not been vaccinated for COVID, you need to wear a mask. If you are vaccinated, a mask is not necessary. Wear comfortable clothing and be prepared to participate in group work! It will be great to be able to meet in-person again!
June 22nd, 2021
8:00 AM – 4 PM
Great Lakes Recovery Centers
Adolescent Services Center – Conference Room
104 Malton Rd.
Negaunee, MI 49866
July 14th, 2021
9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Peter White Public Library – George Shiras Room
217 N Front Street
Marquette, MI 49855
Upcoming 2021 Youth Classes
July 28th, 2021
Alger Parks and Recreation Department
413 Maple Street
Munising MI 49862
Upcoming 2021 Classes for EMS Personnel
Mental Health First Aid for EMS focuses on the unique experiences and needs of firefighters and EMS personnel and is a valuable resource that can make a difference in their lives, their coworkers’ and families’ lives, and the communities they serve. The virtual class consists of a 2 hour self-guided portion and a 4 hour virtual class. EMS Classes are funded by Beyond the Save. More classes will be offered if there is demand. Contact Ellen Lindblom for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org or 906-228-9699, ext 1002.
June 14th, 2021
12:00 – 4:00 PM
* Please sign-up for ‘Waitlist, In-person Classes’ or ‘Waitlist, Virtual Classes’ to be notified of upcoming courses.