Mental Health First Aid
What is Mental Health First Aid?
– Mental Health First Aid is an 8-hour training course that teaches you how to help someone who has a mental health problem or is experiencing a mental health crisis.
– MHFA is an evidence based program through SAMSHA.
– MHFA helps you know how to identify, understand and respond to signs of mental illnesses and addictions.
– MHFA teaches a five-step action plan to assess a situation, select and implement appropriate interventions and secure appropriate care for an individual experiencing a mental health problem.
For more information on Mental Health First Aid visit the website below.
The Mental Health First Aid Action Plan
Who should take it?
– Generally, Mental Health First Aid classes offered through this initiative are open to the public.
– Anyone who is part of a community should take Mental Health First Aid.
– Those who might be interested in the course include: teachers, police officers, parents, human resource directors, church workers, direct care workers & friends.
– Anyone who wants to learn more about mental illness and addiction.
Why should you take it?
– To be prepared: CPR/First Aid training prepares you for medical emergencies, MHFA prepares you for mental health emergencies
– Mental illnesses are common: each year, 1 in 5 adults struggle with a mental illness that is significant enough to be diagnosed, but isn’t
– You care: learn how to be there for a friend, family member or colleague
– You can help: people with mental illnesses often suffer alone – reduce the stigma
8:30 AM – 4:30 PM, please arrive by 8:15 AM
UP Health Systems – Bell, MOB Conference Room
901 Lakeshore Drive, Ishpeming MI 49849
9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, please arrive by 8:45 AM
Pickford Fire & EMS Station
7758 M-129, Pickford MI 49774
8:00 AM – 4:00 PM, please arrive by 7:45 AM
Marquette Alger Regional Educational Services (MARESA)
321 East Ohio Street, Marquette MI 49855
*If the class you’re interested in is full or there are no upcoming classes you can choose the “wait list” option when registering and we will inform you of upcoming classes in your area.